Voluntary certification system for sustainable biomass & Circularity
Certified sustainability in the supply and production chain
Improved competitive opportunities
Globally recognized standard
Sustainable production and supply chains with ISCC PLUS
ISCC with its more than 80 members develops and optimizes the existing regulations for their standards. With the ISCC PLUS, a set of rules was introduced that makes the aspect of sustainability in the production and trade of biomass and circular raw materials transparent. ISCC PLUS certification takes into account not only ecological but also social and economic factors. In total, more than 11,000 companies in over 100 countries worldwide are certified according to ISCC and ISCC PLUS
For which companies is ISCC Plus certification important?
Basically, the ISCC PLUS certificate is suitable for all companies that want to market and sell their products as sustainable. This can be agricultural businesses, production facilities for food, food chemistry or a feed manufacturer.
With ISCC PLUS, producing companies ensure that the sustainability of their raw materials can be fully and transparently traced, from the field to the store.
Six key principles of ISCC PLUS certification
- Preservation of natural areas that are characterized by their high biodiversity or that can store a lot of carbon (High Conservation Value = HCV).
- Application of "good" agricultural practices, e.g. to maintain soil fertility or preserve water quality, and to reduce the use of pesticides.
- Safe working conditions are maintained, for example through employee training and the provision of adequate protective clothing.
- Compliance with human rights and labor laws, and ensuring responsible working conditions that promote health.
- Compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Adherence to good management practices.
For ISCC PLUS certification, so-called "Major Musts" and "Minor Musts" from these six criteria must be fulfilled.
ISCC PLUS usage cases
- Food: At the request of one of the world's leading soft drink brands, Hungrana AG has applied for ISCC PLUS certification for its corn-based sweeteners. The corn, which is grown according to the six ISCC PLUS principles, is used in a variety of products for the food and feed industries.(Source)
- Packaging: Norwegian cartonboard manufacturer Elopak has achieved certification of its renewable, bio-based polyethylene. The raw materials are derived from by-products and waste, reducing the product's carbon footprint.(Source)
- Chemical: SABIC, a Saudi company operating in the chemical industry, has obtained ISCC PLUS certification for circular polymers. Plastic waste, rather than an agricultural product, is used as the feedstock. The waste is converted into a liquid and then mixed with traditional raw materials. This gives plastic waste an economic value, preventing it from entering our oceans.(Source)
Here is how the ISCC Plus certification process works
In the first step, we exchange information about your company, your management system and field of activity in a personal meeting or by mail. Since the duration of the audit depends on the size and complexity of your company, we need some information from you, such as the number of employees. On this basis you will promptly receive a detailed and transparent quote, tailored to your individual needs.
Before the audit, you will fill out the ISCC registration form and receive your ISCC registration number.
As soon as your company is ready, an audit date will be set together with you and approved auditors with the required competence and experience in your industry will be selected. During the certification audit, our auditors assess, among other things, whether your management system meets the requirements of the standard and identify potential for improvement. In a final discussion, you will receive a detailed presentation of the results from your auditor, including a description of the potential for improvement for your company. If necessary, action plans are agreed upon. Corrective actions have to be implemented within 40 days.
If you have met all the requirements in the audit, you will receive your ISCC PLUS certificate with a validity period of one year.